Mental Fitness is the national leader in designing evidence-based courses in collaboration with more than 50 national experts. Courses are all available at SharpenMinds.com and include the following topics:
- Understanding Eating Disorders (including facts, research best practices relating to all six types of ED)
- Female Athlete Triad and Disordered Eating Prevention among Athletes (featuring Intuitive Eating, created by Elyse Resch (co-author of Intuitive Eating) for Mental Fitness.
- Understanding higher weight, binge eating disorder and weight stigma research.
- How To Manage Eating Disorders in the School Setting
- Mindfulness Facts and Research
- Prevention Research and Programs for Schools
In addition, our Founder has created a site dedicated to Eating Disorder Recovery Yoga for licensed psychotherapists and RYT yoga instructors. That site is at NOURISHRecoveryYoga.com.
Other resources include:
Eating disorders are complex medical illnesses. Successful treatment often requires the dedicated efforts of a team of professionals. To find a licensed psychotherapist, registered dietician / nutritionist, physician and psychiatrist who specialize in the area of eating disorders, we recommend that individuals search for clinicians who are members of the AED and IAEDP professional organizations.
OUR RECOMMENDATIONS FOR EATING DISORDER AWARENESS IN SCHOOLS -- click here for our guidelines.
OUR ONLINE COURSES: For a list of all of our programs, download our course listings here.
It is of paramount importance that individuals act early when a loved one shows signs of an eating disorder. To learn more about choosing the appropriate treatment, and for a list of questions to ask, please download our MYTH BUSTERS informational sheet for parents.
Resources for Teachers
Evidence-Based Body Image Programs
Body Image Films
- What The Media Does to Women (courtesy of Upworthy)
- On Beauty (courtesy of Body Positive -- 7 minutes)
- Model Being Airbrushed (1 minute)
- Fat Talk (courtesy of Reflections Body Image / Tri Delta -- 3 minutes)
- Talk To Your Daughter About Beauty (courtesy of Dove)
- Real Beauty Sketches (courtesy of Dove)
- Cameron Russell TedTalk
Seminars -- a guide to NORMAL's seminars and qualified speakers
Online Tools (links to our blogs, online resources, programs and more than 50 free films)
Resources for Coaches
- Think. Eat. Play. Program to Optimize Health in Female Athletes -- More than 15 of the nation's experts collaborate on this educational program for coaches.
- How to Tell If Your Student or Child is In Trouble With Female Athlete Triad Syndrome
- Triad Talks
Resources for Physicians
Resources for Art Therapists
- American Art Therapy Association 2012 Eating Disorders Toolkit
- American Art Therapy Association
International Art Therapy Association (no longer active in GoDaddy. An internet search brought the International Expressive Arts Therapy Assoc)
- Healing Power of Ar
- National Coalition of Creative Arts Therapies
Resources for Drama Therapists
- American Society for Group Psychotherapy and Psychodrama
- Healing Power of Arts Blog
- Healthy Selfitude -- 20+ exercises that teach self-acceptance through arts and yoga
- National Association for Drama Therapy
- Tian Dayton, Ph.D., Books and Resources
Resources for Dance Movement Therapists
Resources for Yoga Therapists
- International Association of Yoga Therapists
- Meditation and Mindfulness Workshops for ED Recovery -- Guidebook for Yoga Instructors
- Eating Disorder Recovery Yoga
- Facts about the Efficacy of Yoga (2010) Psychiatry
- Facts about Arts and The Brain: Reinvesting in Arts Education, Issued May, 2011, The White House
- APA Definition of "Evidence Based Treatment"
- VARIETIES OF TREATMENT OPTIONS, New York Times (11-2010)
- Family-based therapy is Gold Standard for adolescents battling eating disorders.
- Scientific American article on Scaling Back Obesity (February, 2011)
Stress in America (2013 report courtesy of APA) Signs of anxiety disorders (courtesy of APA)
- Eating Disorders on the Rise in teens and children, boys and minorities according to latest PEDIATRICS report, (November 26, 2010)
- Healthy Living With BiPolar Disorder (courtesy of IBF)
- Tips for Talking To a Friend (courtesy of NEDA)
- How to Help a Friend (courtesy of NEDA)
- How to Find an Eating Disorder Specialist?
- How to Find an Eating Disorder Specialist for your educational discussion panel. 2 minute video.
- Harvard University Department of Public Health STRIPED Program (to educate public health students)
Support and Informational Organizations
- AED -- Academy for Eating Disorders
- Alliance for Eating Disorders Awareness
- ANAD -- National Association for Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders
- ANDREA's VOICE -- Andrea's Voice Foundation
- APA -- American Psychological Association
APTEDSF -- Association of Professionals Treating Eating Disorders -- www.aptedsf.com
- BEDA -- Binge Eating Disorder Association
- EDC -- Eating Disorder Coalition for Research, Policy and Action
- EDREFERRAL -- Comprehensive database of eating disorder treatment professionals
- EDH -- Eating Disorder Hope
EDAN -- Eating Disorder Activist Network -- www.edactivistnetwork.org
- EDN -- Eating Disorder Network of Maryland
- ELA -- Eating for Life Alliance
- GURZE BOOKS -- The leading publisher of books, DVDs and programs about eating disorders
- IAEDP -- International Association for Eating Disorders Professionals
- KIRSTEN HAGLUND FOUNDATION -- "love your body, rock the world"
- MEDA -- Multi-Service Eating Disorders Association
- MENTORCONNECT -- a global eating disorders mentoring community
- NAMED -- National Association for Males with Eating Disorders
- NEDA – National Eating Disorder Association
- NIMH -- National Institute of Mental Health
- SOMETHING FISHY
Mental Health,Body Image,Self-Esteem Nonprofits
- ACTIVE MINDS -- Changing the Conversation about Mental Health
- DRUGFREE -- Partnership at DrugFree.org
FED UP INC -- educating girls and boys about body image -- www.fedupinc.org
- GIRLZONE -- about the whole girl with message boards, articles and more
- IBF -- International BiPolar Foundation
- LETS Educational Foundation -- Let's End The Stigma about mental health in schools
- NAMI -- National Alliance for Mental Illness
- Stop Bullying Now -- www.stopbullyingnow.hrsa.gov (re-directs to http://www.self-injury.org/)
- Stop Cyberbullying -
Depression and Suicide
Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Issues
- GLSEN -- Gay, Lesbian, Straight Education Network
- PFLAG -- Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
Self-Harm, Cutting and Self-Mutilation
- SAFE -- Alternatives: Self Abuse Finally Ends
ASHIC -- American Self-Harm Information Clearinghouse -- www.selfinjury.org
Other Arts-Related Tools and Programs endorsed by NORMAL
- Faith by Caroline Rothstein
- JENNI SCHAEFER CD (and books, etc.)
Leftovers To Go -- a program based on a play about compulsive over-eating
- Someday Melissa -- a documentary film about Melissa Avrin who lost her battle with eating disorders