MFI Founder, Robyn Hussa Farrell, MFA, E-RYT, has designed and led free eating disorder recovery yoga and mindfulness workshops for more than 9 years in treatment hospitals and communities nationwide. Her NOURISH Recovery Yoga model will be one of many chapters in the much-anticipated “Yoga and Eating Disorders” book, edited by Carolyn Costin.
To learn about our free workshops for patients in recovery, please click here.
Resources and materials that are supportive to the recovery process are listed below.
5-minute mindfulness for classroom teachers.
These stress-management techniques are written by masters in the fields of mental health, arts and mindfulness in “script” format. The book includes more than 25 lessons.
We seek teachers to pilot the 5 minute mindfulness curriculum in K-12 and provide feedback.
Exercises for Teachers
- What is Mindfulness? (courtesy of mindfulschools.org)
- Example of ways to incorporate mindfulness, breathing and balance into a 10 minute exercise.
- Learn to meditate (courtesy of the Himalayan Institute)
- Intro to meditation (courtesy of yogasite.com)
- The real meaning of meditation (courtesy of the Himalayan Institute)
Breathing or Pranayama.
Handouts for Students
These free handouts are excellent resources for students, created by Robyn Hussa, MFA, E-RYT.
Other resources & research
- Free workshops for those in recovery, NYC and SC!
- Mindfulness Benefits in Low-Income Schools
- The Poetry of Yoga — anthologies of poetry written by dozens of contributors
- FREE BOOK online: Eric Schiffmann, Moving Into Stillness — incredible teachings
- Efficacy of mindfulness, courtesy of University of Massachusetts Center for Mindfulness
- Mindfulness Based Relapse Prevention (MBRP)
- Mindfulness Based Eating Awareness Training (MB-EAT)
- Mindfulness CDs and Tapes, by Jon Kabat Zinn
- Free apps, by Andrew Johnson: Relax, etc.
- 30+ books and other resources
- APA 2013 report on stress
- APA 2010 report on Stress: in the cities where stress is declining, eating healthy foods, practicing mindfulness and meditation and exercising for enjoyment are among the factors attributed to the decline.
- Stress-Management Techniques: Evidence-based procedures (2011) …
- Mindfulness Meditation Could Lower Cortisol (Stress Hormone)
- Peer Reviewed Research on Yoga and Eating Disorder Recovery (courtesy of InnerDoorCenter.org)
- Question & answer: Yoga in the treatment of disordered eating and body image disturbance. How can the practice of yoga be helpful in recovery from an eating disorder? (PDF)
- Primary prevention of eating disorders: A constructivist integration of mind and body strategies (PDF)
- Manualized-Group Treatment of Eating Disorders: Attunement in Mind, Body, and Relationship (AMBR) (PDF)
- The Relationship of Yoga, Body Awareness, and Body Responsiveness to Self-Objectification and Disordered Eating (PDF)
- Can Yoga Tame OCD (PDF)
- Sudarshan Kriya Yogic Breathing in the Treatment of Stress, Anxiety, and Depression: Part II—Clinical Applications and Guidelines (Yoga and PTSD) (PDF)
- Laura Douglass’s article on Yoga as an Intervention in the Treatment of Eating Disorders: Does it Help? (link)
- Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial of Yoga in the Treatment of Eating Disorders
- Body Awareness, Eating Attitudes, and Spiritual Beliefs of Women Practicing Yoga